The Los Angeles Permanent Supportive Housing Preservation (PSH) Initiative is led by Enterprise Community Partners in conjunction with LISC and the National Equity Fund to advance policy solutions and provide capacity building support to the PSH development community. The goal is to ensure that aging PSH assets and the nonprofit housing development organizations that operate them are stable and sustainable over the long-term horizon of ownership.
The PSH Initiative made possible through the generous support of the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation and United Way of Greater Los Angeles.
Effective Coordination Between Asset Management and Housing Development
December 7, 2017 - The third session in our capacity-building series focused on the successful approaches to ensure strong coordination between asset management and housing development when planning the next permanent supportive housing development. The training drew upon experiences from three of the leading PSH developers in the region, with attention to building design, financing and regulatory compliance.
- Peter Enzminger, Skid Row Housing Trust
- Terry Simons, A Community of Friends
- Malen Rodriguez, Hollywood Community Housing Corporation
- Effective Coordination Presentation
Resyndicating Permanent Supportive Housing: What’s Your Game Plan?
May 22, 2017 - The second session of our ongoing training series offered an examination of the components and uniqueness of resyndicating permanent supportive housing properties. The freshly built module was designed to introduce new and existing project management, asset management and public agency housing finance staff to the elements of effectively preparing for and executing a PSH resyndication project, including:
- The early phases of goal setting and staffing
- Establishing financial feasibility, tax issues and structuring details
- Negotiating with government lenders
Regan Maechling, Enterprise Community Investment, and Debbie Burkart, National Equity Fund, both regional syndication leads, also participated in a closing panel examining investor perspectives on these types of transactions. California Housing Partnership Corporation’s Paul Beesemyer served as the lead presenter and moderator, with support from noted tax attorney Kyle Arndt, with both providing deft guidance throughout this full-day seminar.
- California Housing Partnership Corporation: What’s Your Game Plan?
- Bocarsly Emden Cowan Esmail & Arndt LLP: Tax Issues and Structuring Deals
March 21, 2017 - The first in a yearlong series on PSH preservation, this half-day workshop drew upon the organizational experiences from leading PSH developers to explore the renovation process including financing, project management and resident engagement.
- A Community of Friends presentation: Lessons Learned in an Occupied Rehab
- Skid Row Housing Trust presentation: Project Structuring: Predevelopment Process, Development Financing, Regulatory Considerations
- Enterprise Report: Rehabilitating Aging PSH Buildings: Lessons from the Field