Enterprise Ohio is pleased to announce another round of our scholarship opportunity for African-American students pursuing a degree that will help them in joining or advancing in Cleveland’s community development field. We will award up to two scholarships of up to $5,000 each for the 2020-2021 school year.
The Enterprise Ohio Scholarship is offered for the 2020-2021 school year in honor of Bruce Murphy. Mr. Murphy made tremendous contributions to community development during his tenure at Key Bank and was recognized as Enterprise’s Visionary of the Year in 2018.
Purpose of the scholarship:
Community Development can be defined as "community-based activities that build stronger and more resilient communities through an ongoing process of identifying and addressing needs, assets, and priority investments." This Scholarship is offered with the intention of promoting the participation of African-Americans in the field of community development in Cleveland by way of completion of a graduate degree at a university in Northeast Ohio in a related field of study.
To be considered, applicants must meet the following criteria.
- Must be a graduate student
- Have a bachelor’s degree with a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Accepted to or currently enrolled in a graduate degree program at an accredited university in Northeast Ohio or living in Northeast Ohio and remotely attending an accredited university outside of the area
How to apply:
Applicants should submit the following documents to Angelina Turner no later than 5 p.m. ET on May 29, 2020.
- Application cover page
- Current resume or curriculum vitae
- Undergraduate and graduate transcripts, as applicable. (Unofficial transcripts are acceptable)
- One current letter of recommendation
- Personal statement (maximum 600 words) addressing:
- Career goals and reason(s) for your interest in pursuing a career in community development in Cleveland
- How your current major or program of study will support a career in community development
- Community and/or civic engagement
- Brief statement on financial need and the scholarship amount you are requesting (up to $5,000 for full-time students; up to $2,500 for part-time students)
- Student Aid Report from the FAFSA form showing your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC is available to you after you complete the FAFSA. Support in completing the FAFSA is often available through your financial aid office. You can download a PDF of the Student Aid Report at www.fafsa.gov.
Selection and Award Process:
A Selection Committee will be appointed by the director of the Enterprise Ohio office. Selection decisions will be based on eligibility and completed application requirements with regard to the stated purpose and desired criteria for award of this scholarship. Awards will be announced in June 2019.
Award amounts will be determined by the number of applicants selected, the full or part-time course load and the financial need of successful applicants. Awards will be paid to the school for the benefit of the student and must be applied to tuition, fees, books, supplies, and/or equipment required for coursework.
This one-time award will not be automatically renewed for subsequent years. Successful candidates may be invited by Enterprise to reapply for the next scholarship application cycle.
Awardees are required to
- maintain part-time or full-time enrollment status
- maintain a 3.0 GPA
- email a grade report to the Scholarship team for each term of the school year in which award funds are received
Questions: Please contact Angelina Turner, if you have additional questions about the scholarship or application process.