In America, there is a severe shortage of affordable places to call home. It costs the U.S. economy $2 trillion per year in lost wages and productivity,* but hurts renters most, especially the 11 million households spending more than half of their paycheck on rent.
Every day, we fight to put good homes within reach. We invest in and advocate for the preservation and production of quality homes that people can afford.
Creating Affordable Places to Live
Through socially-driven capital investment, we work with developers to finance new construction, rehabilitation and mixed-use developments.
- See how we invest capital and pioneer financial tools to make an impact
- Learn about our consulting and technical assistance services in communities
- Access our tools for partners, including Opportunity360
Preserving People's Homes
By working closely with local partners and coalitions, we're doubling down on our commitment to both preserving and building affordable homes.
- Learn about our conventional equity program to acquire and preserve affordable and workforce rental housing
- See how we’re preserving permanent housing in California, in rural areas and along a new transit line
- Explore our multifamily preservation toolkit
Advocating for Key Policies
We work at all levels of government to maximize resources for increasing and preserving affordable housing.
- Learn more about our federal policy priorities and state and local policy work
- See how we support strengthening and expanding the Housing Credit as co-lead of the ACTION Campaign
- Find out how we advocate for increased federal funding for programs like the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG)