The HOME Coalition

The HOME Coalition - Help families and communities

What is HOME?

For over 20 years, the HOME Investment Partnerships Program (HOME) has proven to be one of the most effective, locally driven tools to help states and communities provide access to safe, decent and affordable housing for low-income residents.

HOME is a federal block grant program administered by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). States and local governments receive HOME funds annually according to a statutory formula. States administer 40 percent of HOME funds, and local communities administer the remaining 60 percent.

HOME is the only federal housing program exclusively focused on providing states and local communities with flexible financing to address their most pressing affordable housing needs.

HOME by the numbers

Why HOME matters?

Why HOME matters

Flexibility and local control drive HOME’s success. States and local communities use HOME to fund new production where affordable housing is scarce, rehabilitation where housing quality is a challenge, rental assistance where homes are available and homeownership opportunities when those are needed.

By law, HOME is targeted to low-income households earning less than 80 percent of the area median income. It serves people with the greatest needs, including seniors, people with disabilities, families with children, veterans and people experiencing homelessness.

When Congress created HOME, they designed the program to empower local decision-making. HOME has been successfully used in every congressional district and in rural, suburban and urban communities alike.


Urgent Need to Increase HOME Funding

HOME is in crisis

Despite its successful track record, Congress has cut funding for HOME by half in recent years from $1.8 billion in 2010 to just $950 million in 2016.

The proposed FY 2017 spending bills in the House and Senate would again fund HOME at $950 million, which falls far short of the demand for the HOME Program. Increasing HOME funding to $1.2 billion is a necessary and cost-effective investment in affordable housing for communities across the country. 

Now, we need your help to restore HOME!

Now we need your help to save HOME!


Tools & Resources:


Opp360 logo

For full access to our tools and resources, please provide the information below.

We use this data to better understand our users; we do not sell or share this data. By providing this information, you can expect to receive newsletters and other updates from Opportunity360.