Covid-19 Resources and Response: Gulf Coast
Our Gulf Coast office is working hard to respond to the needs of our grantees and partners during the Covid-19 pandemic. Having been established in response to Hurricane Katrina, our office specializes in disaster response and recovery. We have been through many natural disasters and flooding events with our partners across Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas in the last 15 years. The Gulf Coast region is known for its resilience and community spirit. We will get through this working together to respond as this crisis continues to unfold.
We know there is a lot of uncertainty about the future and how to navigate the federal and philanthropic responses to the pandemic, how to fill funding gaps when your work has been interrupted or put on hold, and how to communicate the appropriate resources to your clients and residents. We have all been forced to quickly adjust our way of working and living. We are acutely aware of the challenges presented by this move to remote operations, particularly in our region where internet access and infrastructure is limited, and many do not own computers or smart phones.
Enterprise Community Partners will be here to help support you through this by advocating for our partners, providing technical support and capacity building, and lending our expertise to inform decision-making in the future. With the overwhelming amount of information out there, our goal is to be a source of reliable information and resources that you can trust and share with your community members. We have compiled the information below to help you navigate this challenging time. You can also follow Enterprise’s list of national resources and federal policy response.
Updated September, 2020
- Legal Aid organizations
- Guidance on CDC Eviction Moratorium
- Rental Assistance Programs in Mississippi & Louisiana
- Considerations for Owners and Operators of Multifamily Housing, Including Populations at Increased Risk for Complications from COVID-19
Financial Aid Resources for Nonprofits and Small Businesses
- SBA Funding Options in Response to Covid-19 through the CARES Act
- SBA Paycheck Protection Program: This loan is designed to provide a direct incentive for small businesses to keep their workers on the payroll. SBA will forgive loans if all employees are kept on the payroll for eight weeks and the money is used for payroll, rent, mortgage interest, or utilities.
- SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDL)
- Nonprofit Preparedness and Planning for a Coronavirus Pandemic: Federal, State, and Local Policy Response: Webinar by Enterprise Community Partners and The Greater New Orleans Foundation breaking down the implications of the CARES Act for small businesses and nonprofits. View slides.
- Initial HUD Covid-19 allocations: Louisiana and Mississippi
- Summary from National Council on Nonprofits Related to How Covid-19 Stimulus Bill Provisions Benefit Nonprofits
- National Low Income Housing Coalition info sheet on SBA loan
- CARES Act Loan Options for Nonprofits from the National Council of Nonprofits
Resources for CDCs , CHDOs, and Owners and Managers of Affordable Housing
- Reimagining Strategy in the Context of the Covid-19 Crisis: A Triage Tool
- NHC Covid-19 Housing Resource Center – a landing page for resources from every facet of the housing industry
- COVID-19 Resources and Helpful Information from our partners at TSAHC (Texas State Affordable Housing Corporation)
- Tool for COVID showing the eviction moratoria and what the laws are by state from Eviction Lab
- Tips from Enterprise Community Partners on Maintaining Business Continuity During the Covid-19 Pandemic
- Disaster Staffing Toolkit from Enterprise Community Partners
- Preventing the Spread of Covid-19 in Retirement Communities and Independent Living Facilities from the CDC
- Cleaning and Disinfecting Your Facility
- Information for Residents in 8 languages, including Spanish, French, and Vietnamese from the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services
- Coronavirus Preparedness for Apartment Firms from the National Multifamily Housing Council
- Preventing the Spread of Covid-19 to support people experiencing homelessness from the CDC
- How to Adapt Your Nonprofit’s Sick-Leave Policy During Covid-19
- FEMA Guidelines on non-congregant sheltering in response to Covid-19
- Map showing which states have deemed construction and building essential services under stay-at-home orders from the National Association of Home Builders
Technology Support and Resources for Remote Operations
- Find low-cost internet and affordable computers in your area
- Remote Workers and Telecommuting Practices for Nonprofits from the National Council of Nonprofits
- Cyber Security Tips For Companies Working From Home
- A free training from LinkedIn about Time Management: Working from Home
Coronavirus Resources for Community Members and Residents
- If you have symptoms including a fever, cough, or shortness of breath, call your primary care provider. Do not go to the doctor without calling first. If you do not have a primary care provider, call the Louisiana Department of Health hotline at 1-855-523-2652.
- LCMC Health has launched a free coronavirus hotline - 504-962-6202 from M-F 7AM-11PM and Sat-Sun 8AM-8PM.
- Mississippi Covid-19 Hotline: 877-978-6453 (available 24/7)
- State of Texas recommends calling your doctor if you have Covid-19symptoms. If you need help finding a doctor or accessing medical care, call 2-1-1 and they can direct you to low- or no-cost providers in your area.
- CDC recommendations for self-care of symptoms at home
Resources for Homeowners and Renters
- Understanding Relief for Homeowners and Renters Impacted by Covid-19
- Immediate Opportunities for Rural Development Customers Impacted by Covid-19 from USDA Rural Development
- HUD Issues New Cares Act Mortgage Payment Relief for FHA Single Family Homeowners
- Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) Announcement that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (the Enterprises) will offer multifamily property owners mortgage forbearance with the condition that they suspend all evictions for renters unable to pay rent due to the impact of coronavirus
Philanthropic Covid-19 Response
- Funds for coronavirus relief
- Philanthropy.com article about how the CARES Act impacts charities and nonprofits
- Philanthropy.com article How to Raise Money if Your Nonprofit Isn’t Responding Directly to the Pandemic
Guidance from State and Local Government Authorities
- Louisiana Office of Public Health Coronavirus Information
- NOLA Ready - Financial, Community, and Legal Assistance
- Mississippi State Department of Health Coronavirus Updates
- Texas Department of State Health Services
Mental Health and Wellness
- SAMHSA Disaster Distress Helpline (800) 985-5990 provides 24/7, 365-day-a- year crisis counseling and support to people experiencing emotional distress related to natural or human-caused disasters.
- NAMI HelpLine 800-950-NAMI (6264) Monday through Friday, between 10:00 am and 6:00 pm EST for mental health resources.
- How to Care for Yourself While Practicing Physical Distancing from Mental Health First Aid
- Self-Care Resources from Tulane School of Social Work