Growing Up and Out of Poverty Industry Report
Research shows that students do better when they have a safe and stable home. Enterprise and The NHP Foundation partnered to better understand educators’ perspectives on the intersection of housing and education. This paper summarizes the findings of a survey of 500 educators and presents five recommendations for the community development, education and human services fields. These recommendations are:
• Increase the availability of service-enriched housing
• Enhance school staff training and improve support plans
• Recognize the importance of building trust with students and families
• Remove barriers faced by educators to connect students with supportive services
• Create and promote cross-sector partnerships to ensure families are served and supports are aligned
These recommendations are designed to help educators better support the needs of their students and students’ families.