The Opportunity Zones Program
The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act created the Opportunity Zones Program, a new community investment tool designed to drive long-term capital to rural and low-income urban communities throughout the nation. Our Policy Brief has more information.
Governors have until March 21, 2018 to submit their recommendations for Opportunity Zone designations to Treasury, unless the state requests a 30-day extension. By failing to submit Opportunity Zone nominations, Governors effectively opt out of the Opportunity Zones program and render the state ineligible to receive private investment encouraged by the program.
Choosing Opportunity Zones
Enterprise has created a tool to help states and others determine which tracts or regions are eligible for Opportunity Zones, and how those eligible tracts relate to other federal programs and designations.
Webinar (Recording) - An Early Overview of Program Details and What’s Ahead
- This webinar recording includes an overview of the program, implementation details, as well as what states and advocates should be considering in the coming months as Opportunity Zones are designated. The new census tract designation mapping tool is also highlighted in this recording.
Webinar (Slides) - An Early Overview of Program Details and What’s Ahead
- These webinar slides accompany the webinar recording, and include an overview of the program, implementation details, as well as what states and advocates should be considering in the coming months as Opportunity Zones are designated.
Mapping Opportunity Zones
- This national map identifies which census tracts are eligible for Opportunity Zone designation – both as a low-income community and under the 5 percent exemption for contiguous census tracts. In the coming weeks, Enterprise will make available state maps that will incorporate data and insights from Opportunity360 to help inform strategic decision-making.
U.S. Department of the Treasury - CDFI Fund
- Opportunity Zones Resources - Featuring the IRS Revenue Procedure and the Opportunity Zones Information Resource with sortable lists by state designations of all census tracts eligible for Qualified Opportunity Zone (QOZ).
Policy and Program Information
- View our policy brief for an early overview of Opportunity Zones.
- View our blog posts on the Opportunity Zones Program.
- Find more information on the Economic Innovation Group’s website.
- The Council of Development Finance Agencies has more information.
- Stay tuned to Community Developments and Capitol Express for updates and resources as the Opportunity Zones Program is implemented.