New Affordable Homes Provide a Fresh Start
After a tumultuous year of personal loss, Ms. George also lost her job and subsequently her home. Living in her car, she was able to find work yet could not afford a home near her job in Contra Costa County. Ms. George’s journey led her to the Robin Lane Apartments where one-bedroom apartments rent for $487 per month; nearly a third of what she would have paid for a comparable apartment.
In addition to having a stable place to live, residents like Ms. George have access to a range of supportive services and activities including health screenings and financial literacy education. Ms. George says she is flourishing in her new home. This summer she hopes to finish her studies in medical office administration, and closed her remarks at the ribbon-cutting by inviting the crowd to attend her graduation.
“If I don’t tell you where I’ve been, you would not know the reason why I’m so grateful for affordable housing… It changed my life a lot for the simple reason that now I'm stable." – Johnnie George
- Satellite Affordable Housing Associates (SAHA) rehabilitation of vacant property in Concord, Calif.
- Sixteen permanently affordable homes available for low-income individuals and families earning between $19,000 and $40,000 annually.
- Supportive services include health screenings and financial literacy education.
- Convenient to grocery stores, public transit, and services
- Enterprise Community Loan Fund provided financing for energy efficiency upgrades and the rehabilitation through the Bank of America Green Retrofit Loan program.