Your Top 5 Updates for September 2020
News and public policy move quickly, and keeping you up to date is a top priority. Subscribe to News From Enterprise to have updates like this sent straight to your inbox.
1. Six Housing Affordability Breakthrough Challenge Winners Announced
We're thrilled to announce the six winners of our Housing Affordability Breakthrough Challenge, each of whom will receive $2.5 million in funding and technical support. These six innovative approaches encompass rural homeownership, carbon capture, equitable underwriting, community health care, the sharing economy and trauma-informed care. Visit HousingBreakthrough.org to learn about each grantee and their next-generation innovations.
2. Healthy Homes: Enterprise Green Communities Criteria Elevates Well-Being
The ongoing Covid-19 pandemic has underscored the importance of access to health care – and demonstrated why every sector that influences social determinants of health must join the fight to eliminate health disparities. Affordable housing developers play a critical role in this fight because their work directly or indirectly affects the health, well-being and even the lifestyles of the people who call their properties home. Learn more about how the 2020 Criteria helps developers realize these benefits.
3. Advancing Mobility From Poverty: A Toolkit for Housing and Education Partnerships
Although broad educational outcomes can be improved through traditional education interventions alone, there is growing recognition that closing racial disparity gaps in educational outcomes requires partnership with adjacent sectors. A new toolkit from StriveTogether and Enterprise was born from that recognition and provides concrete steps to launch new partnerships, scale up existing collaborations and transform systems that produce or reinforce inequities.
4. Overcoming Barriers to Bringing Accessory Dwelling Unit Development to Scale
In their latest publication, our Policy Development & Research team addresses persistent regulatory and financial barriers to bringing accessory dwelling unit (ADU) development to a scale that would help boost housing affordability and diversity in housing options. Writing from a policy-driven perspective, they aim to facilitate a broad conversation among industry stakeholders on how these challenges can be addressed.
5. Enterprise to Reinvest $1.3M+ Award Into Communities, Healthy Food Initiatives
Enterprise Community Loan Fund is proud to announce three awards from the U.S. Treasury's Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFI) Fund, which promotes economic revitalization and community development by supporting CDFIs. This year's awards include a Persistent Poverty Counties-Financial Assistance, Healthy Foods Financing Initiative-Financial Assistance, and general Financial Assistance.
Plus, Check Out Recordings of Our Webinars and Online Events
We know that so many of the conferences on your calendar are now on hold. Check out our recent and upcoming webinars and virtual events.
- Recording: Virtual Events on Affordable Housing at 2020 Democratic and Republican Conventions
- Recording: Why We Need Building Codes + Dealing With Contractors on Trust Land
- Recording: Keep Safe: Site Fortification Strategies
- Recording: Building Our Lending Toolbox: Section 184 Lending
- Recording: Navigating FEMA Programs and Resources During Declared Disasters
- Recording: Keeping Chicago's Immigrant Community Housed and Safe in a Time of Crisis
- Recording: Advancing Fair and Affordable Housing Opportunities Available to the LGBTQ+ Community
- Recording: Hurricane Season 2020: How to Mitigate Mold and Health-Related Hazards
- Recording: How Communities Can Use CDBG Funds to Address Covid-19
- Recording: Economic Resilience During Covid-19 and Beyond
- Recording: How to Keep Homes and Communities Safe From Earthquakes
- Recording: Covid-19: What's in the CARES Act, and What's Next
- Recording: USDA Rural Development Housing and 515 Transfers - Colorado Rural Housing Preservation Academy