Our April 2020 Top Updates
News and public policy move quickly, and keeping you up to date is a top priority. Subscribe to News From Enterprise to have updates like this sent straight to your inbox.
1. Covid-19: Latest Updates and Targeted Resources
Our Policy team is closely following what state and local governments are doing to protect residents, landlords and communities. We're sharing data and resources for our partners, and urging all levels of government to offer additional support and solutions so that families stay in their homes during this crisis. Be sure to check out the recording and slides from our CARES Act overview webinar and watch this quick video to hear from Sarah Brundage about our Low-Income Housing Tax Credit advocacy priorities.
2. Our Upcoming Webinars and Online Events
We know that so many of the conferences on your calendar are now on hold. Check out the upcoming webinars and virtual events we're offering in the coming weeks – and register quickly, because space is limited.
- April 29: Why Is Puerto Rico Shaking? How to Keep Homes and Communities Safe From Earthquakes
- April 29: How Communities Can Use CDBG Funds to Address Covid-19
- May 5: How Affordable Housing and Nonprofit Service Providers Can Help Low-Wage Earners During Covid-19 and Beyond
3. Learning From Past Crises to Prepare for a Volatile Future
The timing of this pandemic can serve as wake-up call. Now is the time to respond to increasing climate events and mitigate the risks that threaten communities, homes and lives. Laurie Schoeman shares how cities can prepare communities for the future. And in the first installment of our Hope Counts series, Nicole Gudzowsky talks with Monica Gonzalez about leveraging her experience after Hurricane Katrina to guide her response to Covid-19.
4. Preserving Affordability, Preventing Displacement
A new report by James Yelen draws on lessons learned in the Bay Area to distill best practices for designing and implementing local acquisition-rehab preservation programs. It includes case studies, resident stories and an analysis of development costs for a sample of properties recently acquired by nonprofit stewards.
5. Geotargeting: A New Strategy for Neighborhood Revitalization
The National Resource Network (NRN) recently wrapped up a project using geotargeting to identify areas where opportunities to invest are often missed. This work is the culmination of five months of extensive research and partnership from the NRN team and community contributors to create a Neighborhood Revitalization Strategy and Typology tool.