For families already struggling to pay the rent each month, one unexpected life event could mean losing everything. And unforeseen challenges are becoming all too common in the face of a pandemic and increasing climate disasters.
Economic, climate and health shocks devastate communities. We strengthen people and places to prepare and recover from shocks to ultimately promote stability, well-being and upward mobility.
Advancing Economic Mobility
Americans with the lowest incomes only have a 30 percent chance of ever earning a middle-income wage, and Black Americans are more likely than their white peers to experience downward mobility.
- Learn about our economic mobility initiative
- See how our partnership with StriveTogether aims to eliminate disparities and create equitable outcomes
Building Resilient Futures
No two disasters are alike, but people whose lives and homes are affected all need the same thing – a safe and secure future, starting with an affordable home built to be resilient.
- See how we're helping partners toward an equitable recovery during Covid-19 and beyond
- Find our disaster preparedness tools and resources
Helping Communities Recover and Rebuild
We raise critical funds, build temporary homes and help mitigate the disproportionate impact climate change has on communities of color.
- Take a look at our work over 15 years of rebuilding homes and communities after Hurricane Katrina
- See how our Climate Strong Islands Initiative supports long-term recovery in Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and the Florida Keys
- Find out how we work with Congress and testify on the Hill to direct federal resources to communities as they rebuild