Resident Engagement Results
See how Residents used the Resident Engagement Training in a Box materials in their communities to:
- Support healthy living
- Lower utility and maintenance costs
- Maximize the environmental benefits of green affordable housing
- Abode Communities adapted the Green Leader Toolkit to focus on the communities youth. The 2 O' Clock Earth News is a program created by the Ivy Terrace Earth Club kids to share information on how to make the world more environmentally friendly.
- They also created resident engagement cards in a variety of languages:
Resident engagement is helping Eden meet their company-wide green goal of reducing energy, and waste usage by 30% over 3 years. At their after school programs (currently in 14 sites), they have incorporated green education into youth programming as well. Over 400 youth participate in this program annually, and created this water conservation PSA. Hear Linda Mandolini and Jennifer Reed present on Eden Housing's efforts in resident engagement.
Aeon’s effort involves direct collaboration with residents, via listening sessions, to define an education plan that takes their interests into account. As part of this direct outreach, Aeon has already identified individuals who are interested in taking on the role of a “green leader” in the property to help deliver educational trainings in through a peer-to-peer exchange. Aeon highlighted their resident engagement work on their website. Gina Ciganik discusses Aeon's resident engagement strategy in this presentation. Aeon translated their resident engagement materials into Somali to effectively engage the population:
- How Can You Recycle
- How Much Water Can Be Saved
- How Much Water Costs
- Laundry Tips for Healthy Living
- Let the Oven Clean Itself
- Lightbulb and Electric Info Sheet
- Make Your Own Cleaners
- Reading Bills
- Reduce Reuse Recycle
Farmworker Housing Development Corporation hosted a series of community meetings, workshops, and individual home visits facilitated by staff as part of their resident education strategy. The program components include: mentoring green resident leaders; sharing information on ways to conserve water and energy; recycling; home maintenance; and healthy living and pest management. Here residents take part in a green cleaning workshop.
Farmworker created the following workshop resources in Spanish:
- Energy Conservation PowerPoint
- Healthy Living PowerPoint
- Waste Recycling PowerPoint
- Water Conservation PowerPoint
The Saving Green Program consists of three hands-on educational workshops, in-home energy and water audits and improvements, follow-up energy reports that show participants’ usage trends, and an energy saving contest where the top three winners receive discounts off their rent. Since the inception of this program, participants have reduced their energy usage by as much as 20% compared to the previous year.
Self-help has implemented additional educational tools in green and healthy living to further enhance the green retrofit efforts for its property and its residents. Self-help conducted an in-depth engagement process and detailed training which will impact the resident’s lifestyles going forward.